Thursday, April 8, 2010

I am Jack's Blog Entry.

In 1999 I heard Tyler Durden in the movie "Fight Club" utter these deathless lines of dialogue:

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

Apparently this wasn't the first time this sentiment had occurred to me. Two years prior when I worked for Sears taking orders by phone I wrote the following:

Here are my obligatory biographical stats...

Age: 27
Job: Data entry clerk for major retail chain.
Hourly Wage: $7.60
Average Ad-On Sales for Company Per Hour (not including initial value of order processed): $19.55
Prospects of Earning Commission from these Additional Sales: 0%
Anticipated Raise in June: 22 cents
Time With Company: Three years, eight months.
Annual Salary for President of the Company I Work For: $2.84 million dollars
Annual Salary for the Chairman of the Company I Work For: $1.76 million dollars

"Hey, wait a minute!" I hear you say. "What about height, weight, favorite hobbies and sexual orientation?"

"Not important," I reply.

"Not now."

EPIC: http://apps.facebook.com/flixster/m/13153

FAIL: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107831/5-most-overpaid-ceos.html?mod=career-leadership

No comments: